There is no definitive guide on how to look your best. If we make the effort that is what matters. The rest is subjective. The older we get, the more established we become. In an ironic twist, the older we get Perhaps we just care less? Either way, push past the fashion lethargy and make your moment!
Work with What God Gave You.
Most men are not Paul Newman or Tom Brady and most women are not Sophia Loren or Giselle Bundchen. What is an average looking guy to do?
- Ask yourself what do you have going for you? What is the image you want to project? I dated a guy who was average looking but he put time and effort into his suits (he was a lobbyist) and that made him look like a GQ model with MENSA brains. There are so many men’s lifestyle blogs to help you (many of which you will discover with links right here).
- Grooming, grooming, grooming. Regardless of your age, take care of your skin and your teeth. The men’s grooming category is booming. There is no shortage of products for hair and skin. Your face takes a beating, whether you shave or not. Pamper it with products for your skin type. Develop a morning or evening ritual and you may find yourself energized both inside and out!
- Dress your way. Not the trendy way. Take a look at your wardrobe. Do you suffer from sartorial apathy? Are you still wearing the same things from 10 years ago with no idea of what actually works for you both color and cut wise? You dont have to spend in the 5 figures for a wardrobe. Find a tailor you can trust and ask his opinion. You have friends, ask the who they trust to do their alternations? I know a great tailor in Philly. He will tell you what compliments you. Also, be sure that your clothes fit properly. I have written about this before but it often is a basic that gets overlooked!
- Invest in undergarments. Smart women do it and men should to. Confidence emanates from what lies underneath – socks and underwear. There is a whole industry devoted to it. A man who wear nice underwear, whether it be boxers or briefs, cares about the little things and take pride in them. Don’t get me wrong, I love a man who can go commando too especially in jeans but here is a time and place. If you wear a suit, you should be as thoughtful picking out your underwear and socks as you are picking out your shirts and ties. Lets not forget they serve a functional purpose too, keeping it cool and comfortable without being suffocated. Check out V.K.Nagrani…a man serious about discreet apparel.
- Let your personality shine as bright as that recent shoe shine. Never underestimate the power of a charming personality. A nice laugh, easygoing charm and inquisitive mind will score you points with a woman on the attractiveness scale. Do a personality inventory of your best characteristics. Now thyself and the rest will fall into place.
There is always another opportunity to show your best self. Impressions matter the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th time as much as they matter the first time.